Saturday, March 22, 2008

Much more than a bookshelf....

This might just look like a normal bookshelf, but it is not. The upper 3rd part contains Johns' books, mostly prosa and quite a few about vintage watches. The middle section is for my books; mostly factual literature, notes of my various projects and some magazines. The lovest part of the shelf got 3 cabinets in it. The one on the left is for all my clothes I wear daily, the one in the middle hides a movie showing device, ( well it's a television and then again, not really, - we haven't got a cable or arial ). The last one on right is for Johns' clothes.




So, what does this say about us ?... John loves literature and books and thinks it as rather excentric that I have sorted all his books by color ( I am not the only one who has done that... ). But my eyes are getting quickly bored. Too many colors without no specific order feels like a big black cloud avoiding me to think. But then again, I use colors, I like colors, and I also love books. So, all MY books are wrapped in white matte foil. I might tell you it is because they need to be strengtened; I pull them in and out of the shelf all the time. But that's not really the reason... I use them as manuals and I just want the maximum esthetic unclutternes and peace for whatever I am working with at the moment...




Yes, we don't have TV. I haven't had one for 10 years, and guess what... I met John, and he didn't have one either, and now we have a child that doesn't watch telly. I think though, when he's about three years, we might get a cable, so he can watch a little once in a while... Why ? Is our anti-telly attitude some kind of religious or ideologic believ... Not really... I just like life more without a TV.

8 comments:

Michelle D said...

Your place here has been so inspiring to me lately. Love how you've done your bookshelf. Excentricities like sorting books by color are marvelous. We have a "movie showing device" also:) I didn't grow up with television but we pulled the TV out of the closet on weekends to watch movies - mostly we played in the trees and read. So I didn't watch TV as an adult and neither did my husband so that was an easy one for us. We simply feel there are so many better ways to spend our time and way too many books to be read. We joke and call it Sauron's Eye and cover it up with a sarong because it's ugly:)

emma said...

we also have a telly for watching movies...we pulled out the aerial about nine months ago and since then have been busy doing other stuff. I felt that tv was taking up too much of my head space and also causing some anxiety. We have since had our third child, so the other two have had some tv in their lives, and this one so far none...I wonder whether he will notice?! p.s. I'm new to your blog, and am loving it!

Jill said...

Love your shelfs!!!
I sort my books by size, but I would love for them to be sorted by color as well...
But...oh the time...
It flies :-)
I've got the same book as you, the one with the flowers on :-)
Got it from my dear grandma.
Love your blog, it's on my favoritlist.

MWM said...

I love your bookshelf/cabinet.
Where did you get it?

We do not have a tv either. We haven't had one for 12 years...
and I don't miss it at all.

Natascha Rosenberg said...

I like very much your bookshelf. I have an old and little TV. Everyody says I have to buy a new one..a better one..but for watching the news my little old tv is enough.

Pina said...

It is lovely to peek into your home, inspiring, really.
I also don't have TV, it's been 12 years now since I last had one (well, my parents had it). This way I can live my life and not life of others. If there is really something I want to watch, I can still join my parents at a little chat in front of their TV.
Though I like the colors of my books. :)

Hurrayic said...

I like the contrast of white and color. Very soothing. We just cut back considerably on tv - today in fact. Just a few channels and saving a bundle of money. It'll be much better for my children to use their imaginations instead.

Anonymous said...

I have a TV i like the presence but i never watch it..only ,mayme 2 days of the week to see CSI but i love the kids animattion of CHARLIE AND LOLA!it´s so educative for them.

http://www.charlieandlola.com/

Turns out that for peolpe like us that work with our head and hands with TV or no TV you always have something more important to do!!:-)

Kiss

Graça